"Let there arise out of you a band of people inviting to all that is good enjoining what is right and forbidding what is wrong; they are the ones to attain felicity".
(surah Al-Imran,ayat-104)
Image Not found for user
User Name: Javed_Iqbal_Kaleem
Full Name: Javed Iqbal Kaleem
User since: 2/Feb/2010
No Of voices: 4
 Views: 2363   
 Replies: 0   
 Share with Friend  
 Post Comment  

She went to MIT and Brandeis, married a Brigham and Women's physician, made her home in Boston, cared for her children, and raised money for charities. Aafia Siddiqui was a normal woman living a normal American life. Until the FBI called her a terror

The men were ready. They knew the woman who would be joining them
for the week was a high-profile Al Qaeda operative. They'd been told she should be treated with the utmost respect. She would arrive in Liberia's bustling capital, Monrovia, on a plane from Quetta, Pakistan. She was to be driven to the safe house, the Hotel Boulevard, where other Al Qaeda figures had stayed, and taken good care of until the deal was done.

The trip from the airport was a hot hour long, and the woman spoke in English to the driver on the way. The driver, who would later become the chief informant in a United Nations-led investigation, described her as a quiet Islamic woman who wore a traditional headscarf and kept mostly to herself. She spent the week holed up in her room, making trips into town for small errands.

About a week after her arrival, the woman left Monrovia as quietly as she had entered, but now she had what she had come for: a large parcel containing gems from Africa's illegal diamond trade. They would be used as a convenient, hard-to-trace way of funding Al Qaeda's global terror operations. It was mid-June 2001, three months before September 11.

The men never saw the woman again in person. But earlier this year, one of them says, he saw two photographs of her. At a news conference in May, Attorney General John Ashcroft and FBI Director Robert Mueller III announced that the FBI was looking for seven people with suspected ties to Al Qaeda. MIT graduate and former Boston resident Aafia Siddiqui was the only woman on the list. After the photos of her appeared on television, the informant picked up the phone and
dialed investigators at the Special Court for Sierra Leone, which is examining Africa's illegal diamond trade. The informant was convinced that the woman in the photographs was the woman who had come to Liberia.

Now imagine this: The woman in the photographs, Aafia Siddiqui, the same week,mid-June, 2001. She is a 29-year-old mother of two, consumed, like other Boston moms who volunteer or work outside the home, with the minutiae of everyday life. A deeply religious woman, she picks up Korans from a local mosque and distributes them to inmates in area prisons. She hosts play groups in her
apartment on the 20th floor of the Back Bay Manor in Roxbury. She takes her sister Fowzia's child into her care while Fowzia finishes a fellowship in neurology at Brigham and Women's Hospital. She does the grocery shopping and prepares meals for her children and husband, an anesthesiologist at Brigham and Women's.

This is what Aafia Siddiqui's family says she was really doing during the summer of 2001. Not brokering diamond deals for Al Qaeda with murderous brutes from the killing fields of Africa, but hosting play groups in her apartment.
"Aafia Siddiqui was here in June 2001," says the family's attorney,
Elaine Whitfield Sharp. "And I can prove it."

Sharp is best known as one of the lawyers who defended Louise Woodward, the English nanny found guilty of shaking infant Matthew Eappen to death in 1997. If she can prove Siddiqui wasn't in Liberia that week, she'll damage one of the most puzzling cases of alleged terrorism to emerge from the ashes of 9/11. The claim that Siddiqui was involved in diamond trading is another in a series of
sometimes surprising, sometimes vague accusations by government officials. In Siddiqui's case, the allegations have been further clouded by the often inaccurate, even hyperbolic descriptions of her by the media.

To those who knew her, Aafia Siddiqui was a kind, quiet woman living the normal life of a Pakistani expat in Boston. To the FBI, which displayed her photograph at that press conference in May, she was a suspected terrorist with ties to a chief mastermind of 9/11 -- and the knowledge, skills, and intention to continue Al Qaeda's terror war in the United States and abroad. Could one woman embody such diametrically opposed identities? Who is the real Aafia Siddiqui?
And where has she gone? Born in Karachi, Pakistan, on March 2, 1972, Aafia was one of three children of Mohammad Siddiqui, a doctor trained in England, and Ismet, a homemaker. You might think the daughter who eventually got into MIT was the smart one in the family, but her siblings are just as accomplished. Mohammed, Aafia's brother, is an architect living in Houston with his wife, a pediatrician, and their children. Fowzia, Aafia's sister, is a Harvard-trained
neurologist who was working at Sinai Hospital in Baltimore until she decided to go back to Pakistan.

Aafia Siddiqui moved to Texas in 1990 to be near her brother and had good enough grades after spending a year at the University of Houston to transfer to MIT. She requested a room in the university's only all-female dorm, McCormick Hall, which consists of two modern, block-like towers set along the Charles.Siddiqui' s fellow students say she was a quiet, studious woman who was devout in her religious beliefs but not a fundamentalist. She often wore a headscarf, for example, but didn't cover her face.

"She was religious, but that wasn't unusual in McCormick," says a
former MIT student who lived in the dorm at the time. "She was just nice and soft- spoken," says Marnie Biando, a student who worked at the front desk. "She wasn't terribly assertive."

While at MIT Siddiqui apparently joined an association for Muslim students. She wrote three guides for members who wanted to teach others about Islam. On the group's website, Siddiqui explained how to run a daw'ah table, an informational booth used at school events to educate people about, and persuade them to convert to, Islam. Some of what Siddiqui wrote -- about needing enough money to buy Islamic literature and posterboard -- sounds like a handout for a PTA

Other references, however, reveal a passion for Islam that could be called hard line. In the guides she wrote, "Imagine our humble, but sincere daw'ah effort turning into a major daw'ah movement in this country! Just imagine it! And us, reaping the reward of everyone who accepts Islam through this movement, through years to come . . . Think and plan big." So big was her thinking that she envisioned an outcome that might surprise many of her adopted countrymen: "May Allah give this strength and sincerity to us so that our
humble effort continue, and expands until America becomes a Muslim land."

Even in her academic pursuits, Siddiqui's sights were trained on her faith. A biology major, in her sophomore year she won a $5,000 grant to study the effects of Islam on women in Pakistan.

A photo of her on graduation day shows an attractive woman smiling beside the Charles River. She wears a simple necklace and dangling earrings. It's easy to understand why students who knew her were so surprised to hear her name on the nightly news. In the perpetually updated photo gallery of terrorist suspects that has made its way into our living rooms since 9/11, her face is among the most angelic.

Sometime after their daughter's graduation, Siddiqui's parents, concerned about her prospects for marriage, went out and found her a husband. Mohammed Amjad Khan seemed like a great catch. The son of a wealthy family and a medical student, he, like Siddiqui, was a well-educated Pakistani trying to make a life for himself in Boston. He also shared Siddiqui's faith but did not seem threatened by her desire for a career.

Siddiqui, after all, wasn't done with school. She entered Brandeis University as a graduate student in cognitive neuroscience. Though media reports in the past year have erroneously given her such technical-sounding titles as microbiologist, geneticist, and neurologist, the truth is that Siddiqui's training didn't lend itself easily to the type of terrorist acts that haunt us in our worst nightmares.

"They started with the whole idea that Aafia was involved in biochemical warfare," says Sharp. "She wasn't taking brain cells and testing how they reacted to gases. But there's all this news in the media about the changing face of Al Qaeda and the neurobiology scare, and now we've got this MIT graduate with a Brandeis Ph.D. who's cooking up all these viruses."

What Siddiqui was actually cooking up at Brandeis was more mundane. Her graduate work was based on a simple concept: that people learn by imitation. To study this, she devised a computer program and used adult volunteers, who came to her office and watched various objects move randomly across the screen, then reproduced what they recalled. The point was to see how well they retained the information having seen it on the screen.

Paul DiZio, a professor of cognitive neuroscience at Brandeis who was on Siddiqui's dissertation committee, laughs when asked if such work could be applied to Al Qaeda operations. "I can't see how it can be applied to anything," he says. "It's not very applied work. It didn't have a medical aspect to it. And, as a computer expert, she was competent. But you know, calling her a mastermind or something does not seem -- I never saw any evidence."

What DiZio did see evidence of was Siddiqui's obvious passion for Islam. "She made many references to her faith in scientific conversations, " he says. "When presenting a proposal about how some results would come out and whether they would support her theory, she would say, 'Allah willing.'" Though such comments may have seemed strange in an academic setting, DiZio says there was nothing radical about Siddiqui. "She just seemed like a very kind person."

She was also a person whose life was rapidly changing. DiZio recalls asking Siddiqui what she would do after earning her Ph.D. "She said something about how she had commitments to her children and her family, and that this is the way it was," he says. Somehow, Siddiqui's plan for a career outside the home had been lost.
By the time Siddiqui finished her dissertation, she and Khan, who
was nearing the end of his residency at Brigham and Women's, had two children.According to Sharp, the couple was beginning to argue over how to raise them. "Aafia wanted to live in the West," Sharp says the family told her,adding that Khan wanted to return to Pakistan and raise the children as conservative Muslims. When Siddiqui's parents had arranged their daughter's marriage to Khan, they were under the impression that he was progressive. Now they were worried.

Hassan Abbas, a Pakistani visiting scholar at Harvard Law School and the author of the recently published Pakistan's
Drift into Extremism: Allah, the Army, and America's War on Terror,
remembers the story of the couple's marital troubles differently. Once, when speaking with a colleague of Khan's who worked at Massachusetts General Hospital, Abbas was told Siddiqui was the more fundamentalist of the two. But he never met her. When he moved to Boston in 2001, Abbas tried to set up a network of
Pakistani academics and hoped to add Siddiqui to his listserv. "To my
surprise," he says, "despite my good contacts and friendships, nobody
was willing to say even a single word about her."

What is known about the couple is that they lived with their children on the 20th floor of Roxbury's Back Bay Manor, a popular housing choice for medical residents and foreigners seeking medical treatment because of its proximity to the city's hospitals. The apartment was home base for a nonprofit organization the two started with Fowzia in 1999, called the Institute of Islamic Research and Teaching.

The Mosque for the Praising of Allah in Roxbury is a simple brick building with a double arched doorway out front and a Middle Eastern café next door. In his cluttered second-floor office, Abdullah Faruuq, the mosque's imam, crams his tall body behind his desk and crosses his stocking feet on a chair in front of him.

"What I know of her," he says, "is that she was living here in
America, and her organization was for sharing Islamic information with the American people."

Siddiqui ordered Korans and other books to be distributed to prisons and on school campuses. Boxes of them would arrive at Faruuq's mosque, and he'd wait for her to come pick them up. Though she was a small woman, Siddiqui never asked for help carrying the heavy boxes down the steep flight of stairs.

Faruuq was impressed with Siddiqui's devotion but says she wasn't a radical. "'As long as it's not evil, I can do it,'" he says, paraphrasing what Siddiqui herself might have said of her acceptance of the western world."'I show my hands, show my face. I drive my own car. I have my credit cards.' She had all of that. She was an American girl. Put that down: AafiaSiddiqui was an American girl. And a good sister."

Siddiqui's missionary work stemmed from her belief that it was her duty to bolster the Muslim community around her. "She was always very frustrated here that Muslims were not addressing the needs of their community," says a woman who was a student of Siddiqui's. "She said we needed to be doing more to help our people and that we needed to address the needs of the community." She says Siddiqui wanted her husband to use his medical skills to help the less fortunate.
 No replies/comments found for this voice 
Please send your suggestion/submission to
Long Live Islam and Pakistan
Site is best viewed at 1280*800 resolution